Thursday 5 January 2017

Outdoor Sketching Day 1-6

Okay, it has been a while since my last post. But recently I started doing outdoor sketching and I intend to do it daily for as long as I can. Let's see for how long I can keep this up. I will upload one sketch for each day, and here are the sketches of the first 6 days.

Day 1:

I have decided to do sketches of the city I currently live in, Vijayawada. Its a city in Andhra Pradesh, India. This particular sketch was drawn at Wagon Workshop Colony, the place I grew up in for most of my childhood. Its a peaceful place, far from the hustle and bustle of the city. Lots of trees all around. Now this place is almost deserted. Most people moved closer to the city for various reasons. Some people still live here, but there aren't many compared to the time I grew up here. And since not many live here, the maintenance of the place is not very good. All the buildings have cracks, peeled off paint, weeds and other plants growing around them. And this adds an unique character to the place and I love it. I visit this place as often as possible so that I can capture as many locations as possible in this place. This particular building is some maintenance related building. 


Day 2:

This is the seating gallery of a playground. Its a small ground, but the largest among the two playgrounds in this colony.

Day 3:

This is a clock tower at the Vijayawada Railway Station. I believe this is the largest railway station in the entire state.


Day 4:

This is the institute in the colony I mentioned above. Its kinda like a community center. It has a small library, a gymnasium, few indoor sports, and a hall for special events and screening movies. I don't think they screen movies here anymore. They used to screen a movie every weekend when I was a kid.

Day 5:

This was at the Annual Vijayawada Book Exhibition. Saw this guy, Raju, making these huge Papads(an Indian snack) at a snack booth. I liked how he handles those huge disc shaped snacks and so I made a sketch of it.

Day 6:

There's a playground across the Vijayawada Railway Station. This is one of the main playgrounds of the city. Small level sports tournaments happen here, and apart from that people generally come here in the mornings and evenings for walks or to play badminton. This place has a basketball court and I drew one of its backboards. The basketball court is not that great and lack of maintenance is obvious. But that's probably because barely anyone plays basketball over here.


Hope you enjoyed these sketches :)

No comments:

Post a Comment