Thursday 4 August 2016

Doctor Strange

I have made this painting a while back, but I was too lazy to make a blog post about it. I still am. Actually, I don't know if I'm lazy or just too busy with multiple things that I'm trying to do at the moment. Either way, it doesn't matter. I decided to write this post, while I figure out today's plan in the back of my mind. I'm not thinking too much about what I'm typing. A byproduct of not sleeping the whole night. Anyway, I'll get right into the post.

This painting is based on a poster of Doctor Strange movie. Actually it's not a poster. It's one of the first images that was officially released by Marvel. Just google 'Doctor Strange' and you'll find profile shot of Benedict Cumberbatch in Doctor Strange outfit. I liked the silhouette of his face. I decided to make few drawings to see if there's a possibility of a painting. Here they're:






The first sketch didn't feel right. So I tried to push the design and make it as simple as possible and I really liked what I did in the second sketch. So I decided to go with it. Actually this is one of those images I drew long back, left it aside, and one day decided to make a painting out of it. So I brought it into Photoshop and refine the design and figure out all details. I like doing clean line art before I start painting because I don't have to worry about various details or contours and just focus on painting.  But lately I'm finding that process very time consuming. I have to learn to paint without clean line art. Here's the line art of the painting:





After doing the line art I left it aside and got back to it several days later. Rather than painting just the character, I wanted to have some kind of background. If you want to paint a whole image rather than just a character, it helps to have some kind of background. So I painted this as my background for this painting:



The process of painting character is pretty straightforward. I start with choosing local colors(solid base colors when not affected by light), then I add shadows, followed by highlights, and then any special light effects if necessary. Here's the final result:





As always, I see areas I could improve on. But I'm quite pleased with the way it turned out. Hope you like it as well. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment